Here are trending topics in the Belgian and Dutch press for the month of September. It includes the most mentionned sectors, brands and topics of the month.
BE – Political issues become now most important for the Belgian media agenda. Sports is the second most important theme. The visibility for ecology drops slightly in comparison to the month of August.
NL – Sports are still the most mediatised in the Netherlands in September 2019, but are becoming less important than in August. The visibility for political issues increases strongly in comparison to the previous month.
BE – During this month of September 2019, the Belgian media emphasise more issues related to culture, sports, international and migration issues, political issues, and issues related to education, employment and consumption than the Dutch media.
NL – On the other hand, during this month of September 2019, issues related to associations, health and food, ecology, mobility, security, technology and housing are more covered in the Dutch media than in the Belgian media.
BE – In September 2019, the top five issues gaining most media exposure in the Belgian media are (1) sports, (2) companies and consumption, (3) employment, (4) technologies and (5) media.
NL – In September 2019, the top five issues gaining most media exposure in the Dutch media are (1) sports, (2) population and associations, (3) health and food, (4) security and justice and (5) ecology.
NL/BE Comparison – Belgium and the Netherlands share upward trends in sports, politics and society and employment.
7 themes are different between Belgium and the Netherlands: (1) companies and consumers (increasing in the Belgian media, decreasing in the Dutch media), (2) technologies (rising in the Belgian media), (3) media (decreasing in the Dutch media), (4) security, justice (decreasing in the Belgian media), (5) health (decreasing in the Belgian media), (6) ecology (rising in the Dutch media) and population and associations (decreasing in the Belgian media).
For the top 10 of the most mentioned brands in the Belgian and Dutch media, 3 brands out of 10 are found on both sides of the ranking.
1. Thomas Cook is the first brand in the Belgian and the second brand in the Dutch top 10. The announcement of the bankruptcy and the problems for the travelers are dominating the news.
2. Facebook and Google are also present in the Belgian and Dutch top 10. Facebook is 3rd in the Belgian and 1st in the Dutch media. Google is the 6th brand in both rankings.
3. Nethys is only present in the Belgian top 10 (4th): the sale of Voo and other topics are creating a large debate in the French speaking Belgian press.
4. KLM is only present in the Dutch top 10 (3rd). The media coverage is mainly focused on the strikes at KLM.
5. Hudson’s Bay is only present in the Dutch top 10 (8th): the Canadian brand will leave the Netherlands.